The need for energy and power has increased over the past decade. It is primarily attributed to the rising population and industrial sectors that do require energy for active functioning. Our natural resources are indeed guiding & fulfilling energy demand all across the globe.
The need for energy and power has increased over the past decade. It is primarily attributed to the rising population and industrial sectors that do require energy for active functioning. Our natural resources are indeed guiding & fulfilling energy demand all across the globe. Offshore wind has been successfully utilized to produce energy. It includes the use of wind farms that are built in water bodies, usually present in the ocean sections situated on the continental shelf. This has proven effective to harvest wind energy for the generation of electricity.
Not many people are fully aware about the actual meaning of offshore wind energy and its benefits. Below mentioned are some of the vital facts & features of offshore wind energy which decodes the whole setup that is being actively implemented by many nations.
- Abundance of Offshore Wind Sources: In order to acquire clean and sufficient renewable energy, offshore wind is seen as a preferred option. In the U.S, a number of cities present near the coastline are benefitted by this scheme. According to the Energy Department, offshore wind is capable to produce electricity more than the joint generating capacity of the whole nation (U.S).
- Tall Offshore Wind Turbines: With an aim to capture wind resources present offshore, the availability of turbines is quite important. These turbines might be as tall as the Space Needle, or twice as tall as the Statue of Liberty!
- Easy Transportation of Offshore Wind Components: Presently, offshore wind turbine elements are moved using barges and ships, thereby lessening logistical challenges which are faced by land-based wind machineries due to tunnels and narrow roads.
- S. Offshore Wind Sector Ready for Action: In the U.S, the Energy Department has been working to accelerate the active deployment of offshore wind system via series of projects. Moreover, the offshore wind energy market is also concerned about breaking the barriers created by environmental impacts, infrastructure development and logistical challenges. Considering other nations, the United States has been consistent in utilizing wind energy to its optimum value.
- Use of Undersea Cables by Offshore Wind Farms for Transmitting Energy to the Grid: The electricity generated by offshore wind turbines moves back to land via series of cable systems which are buried in the sea floor. It is important to know that, this electricity is directed through coastal load centers which highlight where the electricity needs to go and further gets distributed into the electrical grid for powering homes and businesses.
- Offshore Wind Turbines are Capable to Float: In this modern age, several companies are trying to develop advanced floating offshore wind podiums that can be utilized in deep waters. At present, there are three types of floating platforms named as spar-buoy, semi-submersible and tension leg platform.
- Offshore Wind Stays Right on Time: It should be known that, offshore winds are usually stronger during the light hours, which allows a more stable as well as efficient energy production when the consumer demand stays high. Many land-based wind assets are quite stronger during the night time, that is, when the electricity demands is lower.